The situation of LGBT+ people in Poland is the hardest since we remember.
The party "Law and Justice" (PiS), which has been in rule since 2015, targeted us as scapegoats and are warming up hatred against us. They co-operate tightly with Catholic Church, neo-nazi groups and religious fundamentalist lobbyists like "Ordo Iuris".
First they called us
destroyers of family,
a disease, a plague, then
paedophiles lobbying for sex-education, which they call
teaching children how to masturbate at the age of 4, and consenting sex at 6
Then, their politicians in local governments declared their communities
LGBT-free zones. As of today, a hundred of municipalities, counties, regions, covering 1/3 of Poland's area and population, have this status. Our Pride Marches in the East and South are violently attacked by neo-nazis and religious groups. Białystok Pride turned into riot and pogrom attempt. Number of hate crimes and suicide attempts is growing rapidly.
Their top politicians were saying:
they are not equal to normal people,
Poland without LGBT is most beautiful,
it's just an ideology,
LGBT are not people. One of them is Andrzej Duda, re-elected as president of the country in 2020.
Three activists were arrested for hanging a rainbow flag on the statue of Jesus Christ. One of them, Margot, was put in the custody for months. On 7th August 2020, in the very center of Warsaw, activists protesting against it were brutally beaten and arrested, along with random passers-by - 50 people, abused and some of them molested at the police stations.
Beginning of 2021, Ordo Iuris and PiS politicians launched proceeding of the bills which criminalise what they call
homopropaganda - Pride Marches, LGBT+ activism, using religious symbols in art, and also ban transition for transgender people. They go in the footsteps of Victor Orban, who had proved that such things are possible to be made into law in European union in XXI century...
Please, have in mind that it is not only the stupid hate, but a deliberate process of building up the authoritarian rule. They convince the society that people are not equal. By targeting weaker groups and minorities they get citizens used to situation, in which some have more rights, and some less. Then they make the privileged group more and more narrow, until the only ones having rights is government and those, who obey. That's the history-proven way to turn democracy into a totalitarian rule.
Right-wing conservative populists do not only make queer people suffer and die. They destroy democracy. It has already destabilized European Union, to the joy of Kremlin...
Yes, you can. Here are a few examples:
- Make our voice be heard. Tell your friends, fellow activists, journalists, local or central politicians, MPs, MEPs, what is happening here.
- Protest in front of Poland's embassies, other Polish governmental institutions, or catholic churches in your cities.
- Your groups, NGOs, are welcome to make twin partnerships with our NGOs. Let's talk, meet, visit each other. A contact with people who live in a normal world gives us hope that we'll finally achieve it too.
- Come to our Prides. In big cities and in the North-West they are relatively safe. Contact Pride organizers to get help in arranging your safe arrival and departure, and your stay.
- Make a banner or display for Poland and Hungary queers at your Prides.
- Help us financially. We are cut off from government funds, running our NGOs mostly on private donations and volunteer work of our activists. Below you'll find our contact information and ways to donate.